It’s the third week of ECQ, lenten season is here, and we miss pies, one of which is tuna pie, who wouldn’t, right? So we head to the kitchen and whip our version of it.
Due to ECQ, we used ingredients that are usually in our kitchen and readily available, like tasty bread, cheese and tuna flakes.
We listed here the ingredients and step by step instruction that you can follow on how to make tuna pie.
2 canned tuna flakes or corned tuna
1 loaf tasty
1 can or 189g mushroom
2 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, minced
1 box all purpose cream
1 pack bread crumbs
1 cup grated cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a saucepan.
2. Saute minced onions until translucent for about 1 minute.
3. Add the tuna and stir for about 1 minute.
4. Add the mushroom and stir until completly cooked.
5. Add all purpose cream and cook until smooth.
6. Add cheese and stir until completely melted.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Cut the edges of the bread.
9. Flatten the bread using either a rolling pin or bottle.
10. Spread a tablespoon of the filling into the bread.
11. Brush the sides with water.
12. Press the edges of the bread using fork to seal them.
13. Beat the eggs and cover the pastry with egg wash and breadcrumbs.
|Cover with egg wash|
|and bread crumbs|
14. Fry the tuna pie until golden brown on both sides or for about 1 minute per side.
You can follow as it is or innovate as well, like adding other vegetables on the filling like carrots and bell pepper or change/ add cheddar or mozzarella cheese.
You can also add parmesan cheese on your breadcrumbs for additional flavor.